MAINE MARITIME ACADEMY
A College of Engineering, Management, Science, and Transportation
Engine Watch Officer/3rd Assistant Engineers
Maine Maritime Academy seeks Engine Watch Officer/3rd Assistant Engineers for its annual summer training cruise.
Cruise dates are May 5, 2019 to July 15, 2019. There will be an option for two shorter cruises with the swap from Cruise A to Cruise B occurring in Portsmouth, UK on or around June 9.
Compensation is $145-200/day, depending on qualifications.
Applicants must submit a completed MMA Application and Self-Identification Form, copies of your MMC, TWIC, and Medical Certificate, and contact information for three references to HR@mma.edu. Please visit http://mainemaritime.edu/employment-at-mma/ for a blank MMA Application and Self-Identification Form.
All offers are made contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation.
Women, minorities and veterans are particularly encouraged to apply. EOE.
The 3rd Engineer acts as Engineer Officer of the Watch, assists in the oversight of shipboard maintenance, and provides Cadet training during the annual training cruise. As a junior officer in the Engine Department, reports to the Chief Engineer. At a minimum must possess all USCG Certificates and Licenses, and all STCW endorsements required of a 3rd Engineer Unlimited Horsepower - Motor. Must possess a valid passport.
- Performs all duties normally associated with a 3rd Engineer’s position.
- Will supervise and train students of varying experience levels in practical operation of all engineering space machinery, tools, and safety equipment.
- Work closely with the Ship’s 2nd Assistant Engineer and 1st Assistant Engineer conducting training cruise maintenance.
- Frequently act as a safety observer during any evolution involving groups of students; working knowledge of/experience with Safety Management Systems is recommended.
- Work with the Senior Engine Training Officer to develop and present material to Cadets.
- Responsible for objectively evaluating student performance as well as work and training processes.
- As a uniformed officer will comply with the regimental uniform regulations as modified by the Commandant for staff officers.
- Thorough knowledge and familiarity with all shipboard systems and equipment.
- Experience as Engineer Watch Officer.
- Experience as or willingness to learn teaching and objective evaluation of Cadets.
- Excellent physical health and evidence of a positive mental attitude.
- Ability to work with people in a closed, intense environment while providing effective leadership.
- Ability to teach automation and controls, fuel transfer procedures, diesel operations and preventive maintenance, and proper use of Safety Management Systems.
QUALIFICATIONS (must be valid for duration of the cruise)
- Valid MMC and USCG Third Engineer’s License – Motor unlimited
- Valid STCW and lifeboatmen endorsement
- Valid USCG Medical Certificate for STCW and National waters
- Valid US Passport
- Valid Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC)
- Candidate must pass a pre-employment physical examination, drug test, and be deemed fit for duty at sea.
- Computer proficiency is required.
While performing the duties of this job, this employee may:
- Be exposed to extremes in weather onboard ship, including rain, sleet, snow, rough seas;
- Regularly sit, walk through narrow passages, climb ladders;
- Use hands to manipulate objects, tools or controls;
- Reach with arms and hands;
- Lift and move up to 100 pounds;
- Work in areas of high noise levels.
For the health and wellbeing of our community, the Maine Maritime Academy campus and vessels (ashore and afloat) are smoke- and tobacco-free as of August 1, 2016.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
2ND ASST ENGINEER PLD CL 1
- Salary - $29.32 to 34.19 per hour
- Permanent Position – Full Time
- Overtime while dredging
- While in Vicksburg, MS 40 Hour Week
- While dredging 7 days on 3 days off then 7 Days on 4 days off – 120 days a year
- USCG Assistant Engineer Limited or Higher Required
Port Engineer Opportunities on Patriot-Managed Watson Class Ships
Location: Oakland, CA
CONTRACT: WATSON LMSR
POSITION: PORT ENGINEER
SECURITY CLEARANCE: Required -Company will arrange
START DATE: Monday, April 01, 2019
JOINING LOCATION: Newport News, VA
TYPE OF ASSIGNMENT: Permanant Position (60 day probationary period required)
DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT: 365
Patriot is seeking a qualified candidate for a Port Engineer for the WATSON Class vessels. This a permanent position assigned to the Newport News, VA office but the work location will be from home. The following are the qualifications requested for the position but all candidates will be considered.
• All Contractor Port Engineers identified as key personnel shall be US citizens and hold a valid security clearance.
• At least five (5) years’ experience in the commercial maritime industry. Experience can be in either a shore side or shipboard engineering role preferably with government vessel experience.
• Through knowledge and previous dry docking experience with government vessels.
• Shipboard employment as a senior officer including Chief or First Assistant Engineer experience.
• Completion of 3 day Fisher Maritime Port Engineer course.
• Completion of 40 Hour online SSPC Coatings Application course.
• Experience must demonstrate the ability to effectively manage and negotiate complex projects such as shipyard dry dock overhauls and repairs.
• Practical knowledge of mechanical engineering and naval architecture principles and practices.
• Familiarity with marine/mechanical, electrical, and structural engineering disciplines.
• Competency in shipyard work specification writing and work package development.
• A combination of education and experience that provides an equivalent level of knowledge of ship operations and maintenance management.
• Use of Nautical Systems Software NS5 and its separate dry dock module.
• Familiar with the use of Access database and Excel software.
• Familiar with directing and interfacing with shipyard personnel, reviewing/analyzing/responding to shipyard generated Condition Reports.
• Familiar with estimating growth repair items resulting from shipyard generated Condition Reports.
Please direct all resumes to:
Marine Personnel Manager
Patriot Contracting Services,
925-296-2050 or 510-387-6340
Opportunities for Maintenance Engineers on Patriot-Managed Watson Class Ships Following New LOA
ASM/Patriot has new employment opportunities for Gas Turbine (GT) licensed 1st Assistant Engineers to serve as day working Maintenance Engineers. This additional work stems from a Letter of Agreement M.E.B.A. recently signed with the company to supplement Watson Class vessels in Full Operating Status. The LOA is available in the Union halls for review by the membership.
ASM/Patriot is looking to fill the positions quickly to be ready for work by early April. Patriot will also consider those that hold 2nd A/E licenses for these permanent billets. Compensation depends upon the highest level of GT-endorsed A/E license held. Wages and fringe benefits of the existing Watson Class Agreement apply to Maintenance Engineers.
Those interested should notify their hall and contact Patriot directly by submitting résumés, including training, medical, and qualification records, to Dave Nolan, Marine Personnel Manager, 1320 Willow Pass Rd., Suite 485, Concord, CA 94520, dave.nolan@ASMHQ.COM Dave office phone is (925) 296-2050.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Keystone Shipping Co., an international shipping company, is currently seeking a qualified maritime professional to fill the position of Fleet Engineer in the Engineering Department of our suburban Philadelphia, PA office, managing the technical operation, maintenance and repair of our eleven MARAD Ready Reserve Fleet vessels and supervising their assigned Port Engineers. This position reports directly to the General Manager – Government Contracts and the Vice President of Engineering.
Job Responsibilities to include but not limited to:
- Supervising the engineering management of our MARAD Ready Reserve Fleet vessels and their Port Engineers, including operation, maintenance, repair, condition and certification.
- Oversee voyage repairs and drydockings, including requisitioning and procurement of material and services.
- Insure that all vessels are fully certificated and documented, and coordinate vessel inspections by regulatory body inspectors.
- Prepare annual budgets and business plans for spare parts, voyage repairs, major repairs and special expenditures. Be responsible for the fiscal management of all vessels within the approved budgets.
- Be thoroughly familiar with the operational status, condition of hull and all equipment aboard each vessel.
- Oversee the technical aspects of the engineering operation of assigned vessels. In this capacity, the Fleet Engineer shall work closely with senior officers and the Port Engineers to provide technical advice to the vessels and other shoreside departments when necessary.
- Monitor the engineering performance of vessels and make recommendations for improvements and modifications to the Chief Engineers and company engineering management.
- Review vessel operating, performance and maintenance data submitted by the Chief Engineer to ensure efficient operation and adherence to maintenance and safety standards.
- Be responsible for the implementation and management of the Company SMS aboard his/her vessels
- Represent the company in industry technical forums as necessary.
Candidates should demonstrate a combination of the following qualifications:
- Bachelor‘s Degree in Marine Engineering from an accredited maritime academy, or equivalent engineering education and discipline.
- US Coast Guard unlimited license as First Assistant Engineer or higher, for steam and/or diesel propelled vessels.
- At least five (5) years experience sailing aboard oceangoing commercial vessels, with time as First Assistant and/or Chief Engineer preferred
- At least three (3) years experience as a Port Engineer or equivalent experience in vessel operation, maintenance or repair; including demonstrated experience in project management and/or managing drydockings.
- Results-oriented leader able to work in a fast-paced, teamwork environment with minimal direction.
- Strong communications, analytical and administrative skills.
- Working knowledge of U.S. Coast Guard and ABS rules and regulations.
- Familiarity with MARAD requirements for RRF program a plus.
- Working knowledge of ABS NS5 Planned Maintenance software a plus
- Have a Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC) issued by the TSA
- Be able to pass a physical and be physically able to enter confined spaces, and climb ladders aboard ships while at sea or in port.
We offer salary based on experience and an excellent comprehensive benefits package.
Qualified candidates should submit resume and salary requirements to:
PO Box 1106, Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004-1496,
Attn: Cathy Doyle, Human Resources
Or via email to: email@example.com
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Seabulk Fleet Mgmt. is currently accepting resumes for 1st A/E’s and 2nd A/E’s for future positions on Central Gulf Line and Waterman vessels.
They have an immediate opening for a permanent Chief Engineer on the M/V Mississippi Enterprise and 1 First A/E. Please include any PCTC Experience, Heavy Lift or Crane experience. Current Security Clearance also a bonus.
Please forward resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
You have the experience the U.S. Coast Guard needs!
Help to maintain the safety of the world’s marine transportation system. Join our passionate team of Marine Transportation Specialists where you can put your knowledge and experience to work ensuring that mariners receive necessary training and relevant testing in order to qualify for a U.S. Merchant Mariner Credential.
The U.S. Coast Guard currently has four Marine Transportation Specialist positions open at the National Maritime Center in Martinsburg West Virginia.
To learn more and apply for these positions visit www.USAJOBS.gov or select the links below:
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
1st A/Es Needed for Central Gulf/Waterman Jobs
Seabulk Fleet Mgmt. is currently accepting resumes for 1st A/Es for future positions on Central Gulf Line and Waterman vessels.
Please include any PC/TC, Heavy Lift or Crane experience. A current Security Clearance is also a bonus. Please forward resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org & email@example.com.